Tuesday 1 June 2010

Going Native at the Blackberry Cafe & Restaurant



















The Blackberry Cafe was recommended by the receptionist at the Delphi mountain resort when I was inquiring about a good local seafood restaurant. The Blackberry Cafe is in Leenane about a 10 minute drive from the Delphi mountain resort and overlooks the bay.


We arrived just before one pm just managing to get the last available table which had just been freed up as we walked in the door.
The menu had something to suit all tastes, not just seafood, and was very reasonably priced, the soup which lots of my fellow diners were tucking into and came with lots of homemade brown bread and butter was €5-50, there was also a seafood chowder.

To start we chose a dozen oysters to share (€17). I got stuck into the oysters before my dining companion who was embarrassed by my groans of delight. They were fat, juicy and salty. My concentration on appreciating these meaty delights was interrupted by a moan from the other end of the table, as my fellow diner downed his first.
For the main course we shared the seafood platter (€19) had plenty of eating for two, there was poached salmon, crab, mussels, smoked mackrel and smoked salmon. All of this was delicious.
Lunch at the Blackberry will however be remembered for the oysters, I remember the first time I tasted oysters in 2005 in the Rotonde restaurant in Paris, and my first tase of Irish oysters will be an equally memorable experience.










No comments:

Post a Comment